The journey by train from Bangalore to Puducherry (also known as Pondicherry) is scheduled to take between 9 hours 25 minutes and 10 hours 15 minutes depending upon which train service you take. Via the shortest route the distance travelled is 435 km.
Train Times from Bangalore to Puducherry
There are 2 direct train services from Bangalore to Puducherry.
- Train times from Bangalore’s Yesvantpur Junction Railway Station (YPR) to Puducherry Railway Station (PDY).
Buy Tickets from Bangalore to Puducherry
Use the Search Box below to buy your train tickets from Bangalore to Puducherry.
Location of Yesvantpur Junction Railway Station
Yesvantpur Junction Railway Station is 6.5 km by road from Bangalore Palace.
Location of Puducherry Railway Station
Puducherry Railway Station is 270 metres walking distance from the Sacred Heart Basilica.
Puducherry, or Pondicherry as it was officially named until 2006, is a coastal city in Tamil Nadu state with around 250,000 permanent residents. The recorded history of Puducherry city begins with the establishment of a French trading centre in 1674. This settlement eventually become the most important French colonial settlement in India.
French colonial rule ended in 1954 but the city retains significant cultural and architectural links to France making it unique and different to in character to the parts of India which were under British or Portuguese control. The cuisine is also different, with steak and red wine appearing on the menus of many of the city’s better restaurants and good quality French style bread available in the city’s bakeries.
Amongst the things to see and do in Puducherry are:
- Visit the French Quarter: Also known as White Town, the French Quarter features a grid of streets with French public and private architecture, including the city’s famous mustard coloured French style villas.
- Walk along the beach: There are several sandy beaches stretching all the way up the coastline and an European style promenade in the portion of beach bordering the French Quarter.
- Visit the Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus: The basilica is an impressively large Catholic church constructed in the early 20th Century.
- Visit Arulmigu Manakula Vinayagar Temple: This is the largest and most interesting Hindu temple in Puducherry with a noteworthy golden chariot on display.