The journey by train from Mumbai to Chennai is scheduled to take between 22 hours 50 minutes and 27 hours 45 minutes depending upon which train you take. The distance travelled via the shortest route is 1,263 km. The train services listed below all depart from one of three city centre station in Mumbai and arrive in Chennai at either of two different city centre railway stations.
Train Times to Chennai
There are 5 train services from three different railway stations in Mumbai to two railway stations in Chennai.
- There are 2 train services from Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus in Mumbai (CSMT) to Chennai Central Station (MAS).
|Train||Mumbai (CSMT)||Chennai (MAS)||Operating Days|
|11041||14:00||16:20 + 1 day||M,Tu,W,Th,F,Sa,Su|
|11027||23:45||03:30 + 1 day||M,Tu,W,Th,F,Sa,Su|
- There is 1 train service from Dadar Central Railway Station in Mumbai (DR) to Chennai Egmore Railway Station (MS).
|Train||Mumbai (DR)||Chennai (MS)||Operating Days|
- There is 1 train service from Lokmanya Tilak Terminus in Mumbai (LTT) to Chennai Egmore Railway Station (MS).
|Train||Mumbai (LTT)||Chennai (MS)||Operating Days|
- There is 1 train service from Lokmanya Tilak Terminus in Mumbai (LTT) to Chennai Central Railway Station (MAS).
|Train||Mumbai (LTT)||Chennai (MAS)||Operating Days|
- Fastest Train: The fastest train from Mumbai to Chennai is the Mumbai LTT – Karaikal Weekly Express (PT) (Train #11017) departing at 12:05 on Saturdays.
- Slowest Train: The slowest train from Mumbai to Chennai is the Mumbai CSMT – MGR Chennai Central Mail (PT) (Train #11027) departing at 23:45 on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
Buy Tickets to Chennai
Use the Search Form below to buy your train tickets from Mumbai to Chennai.
Location of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus is 4.0 km by road from Chowpatty Beach.
Location of Dadar Central Railway Station
Dadar Central Railway Station is 9.0 km by road from Chowpatty Beach.
Location of Lokmanya Tilak Terminus
Lokmanya Tilak Terminus Railway Station is 22.2 km by road from Chowpatty Beach.
Location of Chennai Central Railway Station
Chennai Central Railway Station is 3.3 km by road from Fort St. George.
Location of Chennai Egmaore Railway Station
Chennai Egmore Railway Station is 5.1 km by road from Fort St. George.
Beaches in Chennai
Chennai is one of a small number of major cities with beaches in and very near the city centre. There in fact 10 beaches to choose from. Going to the beach is an important part of life for people is Chennai. The beach in Chennai is a place to spend time with friends and family, to exercise, to eat, to fish from, to worship and even to stage political protests. The beaches in Chennai are not, for the most part, places to go swimming or sunbathing.
The main city centre beach is Marina Beach, which is 13 km long with a 6 km long promenade. Marina Beach is commonly credited with being the longest beach in India and the second longest in the world. Marina Beach attracts a lot of visitors, an estimated 15,000 to 50,000 a day depending on the season and day of the week, despite swimming being banned because of the dangerous undercurrents off the beach itself. In places Marina beach is 300 to 400 metres wide which makes it a popular place for games such as beach cricket and kite surfing, both very popular activities for younger residents of Chennai. There are also plenty of facilities built for activities on Marina Beach such as swimming pools and children’s playgrounds. There are also hundreds of food stalls and many restaurants along the length of the beach.