The journey by train from Varanasi to Gorakhpur is scheduled to take from 4 to 8 hours depending upon which train you take. The distance travelled via the shortest route is 228 km.
Train Times from Varanasi to Gorakhpur
There are a total of 14 trains operating from Varanasi to Gorakhpur Junction Railway Station (GKP).
- 11 of these trains depart from Varanasi Junction Railway Station (BSB):
|Train||Varanasi (BSB)||Gorakhpur (GKP)||Operating Days|
- 3 of these train depart from Varanasi City Railway Station (BCY).
|Train||Varanasi (BCY)||Gorakhpur (GKP)||Operating Days|
- Fastest Train: The fastest train from Varanasi to Gorakhpur is Train #12538 (Bapudham SF Express) which is scheduled to complete the journey in 3 hours 50 minutes.
- Slowest Train: The slowest train from Varanasi to Gorakhpur is Train #55150 (Varanasi City – Gorakhpur Passenger (UnReserved)) which is scheduled to complete the journey in 7 hours 30 minutes.
Buy Tickets from Varanasi to Gorakhpur
Use the Search Box below to buy your train tickets from Varanasi to Gorakhpur.
Location of Varanasi Junction Railway Station
Varanasi Junction Railway Station (BSB) is located 5.9 km by road from Assi Ghat.
Location of Varanasi City Railway Station
Varanasi City Railway Station (BCY) is 7.3 km from Assi Ghat.
Location of Gorakhpur Junction Railway Station
Gorakhpur Junction Railway Station (GKP) is 3.4 km by road from Vindhyavasini Park.
About travel from Gorakhpur to Nepal
If you plan to travel overland from India to Nepal you can take a bus the whole way, however, a much better option is to take a train to Gorakphur and then travel to Nepal by road. There are several reason travelling by train via Gorakphur is a better option than travelling by bus direct:
- Travel by bus means being inside the same vehicle, with the same people, for over 24 hours. It’s going to become uncomfortable and you have very little control over your journey.
- If you book a sleeper berth to Gorakphur you can get a good night’s sleep before starting your journey by road in the morning, leaving you refreshed and relaxed to enjoy the scenery on the way.
- A change is often as good as a rest, so switching from train to bus or taxi will break up the monotony of the long journey.
There are two stages to the journey from Gorakhpur Railway Station to your end destination in Nepal.
The first stage is the 100 km journey from Gorakphur to the border with Nepal at Sounali. There are lots of way to get from Gorakhpur to Sounali, the fastest of which is to travel in a shared or private taxi, which takes around 2 hours. There are plenty of taxis which depart from outside the railway station. You can also take a bus, or another train, from Gorakhpur to Sounali, both of which take around 3 hours.
Once you cross the border, you then start the second stage of your journey. You can travel direct to either Pokhara or Kathmandu from Sounali, it takes 5 to 8 hours to reach either of these two destinations depending on whether you take a bus or taxi. Bus services to both Pokhara and Kathmandu depart from Bhairahawa Bus Station, which is a few kilometres up the road from Sounali. You can also find taxis at the border, although if you are going to take a taxi a cheaper and more reliable option is to book in advance online.
- Travel Tip: The easiest and most comfortable way to travel from Gorakphur to Nepal is book a taxi to take you direct from outside the railway station in Gorakphur to either Pokhara or Kathmandu. Click on the links below to check fares and availability: